“Find My iPhone” needs to be disabled before you sell your phone. If you don’t have access to your device or it will not turn on, you can disable “Find my iPhone” through iCloud. Here’s how:
1. Using a desktop or laptop computer, go to iCloud and sign in to your account with your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID and password linked to the phone you’re selling.
2. Click “All Devices” on top center of the screen.
3. Select the device you’re selling.
4. A new window will appear displaying the device you selected. Ignore it and go to the next step:
5. Back in the center of the screen your “All Devices” has now changed to the name of the device you’re selling. Click this name and a list of the devices will drop down again. This time you will see an “x” to the right of the device you’re selling. Click the “x.”
6. You will be prompted to remove the device:
7. Click “Remove” and you’re done.
Need to know how to turn off Find My iPhone on your device? Learn more here.